in the Siracusa province, has a population of some 2,800. It is
laid out on a medieval plan also betraying baroque features. The
city lies on the slopes of the Lauro Mount, in the vicinity of the
spring of the San Leonardo River – also known as Lentini –
and a beautiful large wood. The area was under the rule of the Normans,
who turned an old Arab fortification into a fortified castle around
which the earliest settlement would grow to a city. Of the castle
only remained a tower set atop Monte Tereo from where a superb view
can be enjoyed.
many other towns in the Noto valley (so it is referred the southeastern
region of Sicily), Buccheri suffered the heavy damages of the 1693
earthquake. Remains of the pre-quake city are set in the north side
farming industry, mainly concerned with the olive production, is
the town’s main income.
has many interesting churches. The Chiesa Madre is dedicated to
Sant’Ambrogio, and contains a 1600’s wooden Crucifix
dominating the main altar, and a painting depicting St. Michael.
The Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena and the Chiesa di Sant’Antonio
Abate divided into three naves and containing works by Borremans
are equally worth-seeing.
the town surroundings are various sites of naturalistic interest:
the Bosco di Santa Maria, the Bosco Pisano, the Gola della Stritta,
that is a canyon with numerous grottoes formed by erosion of San
Leonardo river’s waters.
Porto Palo di Capo Passero
Eremo San Corrado
Laghetti Di Avola
Marina Di Avola
Marina Di Noto
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in